<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Something to Talk About 

A lot of people are thinking and talking about what seems to be the need for an individual to step forward and in effect save us from ourselves. "Who will it be?"

Will it be Al Gore, Russ Feingold, or Barbara Boxer? Will it be the Pope, or the Dalai Lama? Or will it be someone few people have heard of? "Whoever it is, I hope he or she hurries up."

Although I believe that most people are born with the potential to play the role themselves, I'm not unaware of the distance between the world as it is and the world as it should be. I'm afraid that in the world as it is - where one person is expected to play the role for everyone else - the sort of person capable of fulfilling such Herculean expectations is quite rare. Think for a moment about the kind of person it would take to successfully lead the world out of its current predicament; and think about the unprecedented levels of confidence and cooperation that he or she would have to inspire in order to accomplish the task. You certainly won't find that sort of person in the usual places, connected to the usual things.

In addition to the requirements of character - which many people can fulfill - the task requires a person with a clear, wise, large and lovely vision that appeals to the best in every person. The most important and perhaps most difficult requirement to fulfill asks for a person with enough confidence and courage to defy the conventions of power, and launch a popular movement based on that vision.

As I watch and write, it occurs to me that I may be the only person positioned to accomplish such an immense task. Perhaps I am the person that so many people are waiting for. If it is me, the suggestion is that nature has a fine sense of humor. I'm certainly willing and able to lead people through the passage that I've opened here, if that's what they want.

But first, someone will have to come to terms with what it means to be publicly associated with a person like me, and find a way to invite me into the public eye. Then, we'll see what happens. We'll do it together, one step at a time.

If you're worried that I'll end up dead, don't worry, because it's a risk I'm willing to take. Besides, nature is watching my back.

If you're worried that I won't be able to handle the pressure, you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you're worried that I want to be queen of the world, (or something along those lines,) I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. Don't worry though, the title I prefer is "mediator of the world," (and I prefer it in lowercase.) ;)

If you're worried that it's not possible, I must reluctantly ask you to trust me. All I have to offer you at this point in time is what you see here; I expect you to judge me accordingly.

So there you have it. If you're holding out for one person to save the day, here I am. Of course, scenarios involving more people would be much better, (and more equitable in terms of glory.) A lot of good things are possible, but let me tell you something that worries me. If it takes a person that has jumped out of their nature as far as I have, to show people this perspective, I truly fear for the world. Perhaps it does take someone like me to save the world. Stranger things have happened. Well, maybe not.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?