<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Empire Has No Clothes 

With so much buzz about the neofascist administration’s claim that they’re defending "America" from "Islamo-fascists," I almost feel like joining in. But I won’t because I already wrote about it, (almost 14 months ago.) This blog isn’t intended as a diary. If you have the time, read it from the beginning; most of it is still relevant and a good bit of it will be relevant as long as there are people to read it.

Now that I got that out of the way, I can move on to something new - like the dreams I’m having now. I had another interesting one recently that I will briefly recount as an introduction to some conscious thoughts I want to share with you.

In this particular dream I was at a formal event hosted by our dear leaders. I was having a wonderful time entertaining and enlightening the other guests with my aerial acrobatics and charming repartee when I saw Dick Cheney sitting by himself. Having read that Dopey Dubya is a fan of farts, I decided to see if his pal Dick liked them as well. So, I tumbled over to him and blasted him in the face with my ass.

He laughed out loud and introduced himself to me. He stood up, put his arm around me and told me that he wanted to introduce me to his boss. We walked together to the main room and then up the marble staircase to the landing, passing the line of dignitaries waiting to meet King Dopey and his lovely wife Pickles.

I extended my hand to shake his and introduced myself. "I know who you are," he said as he shook my hand. Then he asked me how I like it here, and I asked him if he was kidding. He shook his head, and I told him that I love this country. That’s when I woke up.

So, I’m willing to believe that somewhere deep inside I’m capable of loving this country. But I have to tell you that my conscious mind doesn’t arrive at that conclusion. As it is, I can’t think of a single thing about this country that justifies loving it. My family and friends live here, but loving them isn’t the same as loving this country, is it?

As for things like freedom, democracy, and justice: you’re certainly welcome to waste your love on a society that doesn’t exist anymore, (and arguably never did.) I’ll save mine for the real thing.

The "American Dream" isn’t what it used to be. Once upon a time it was the modest, healthy dream of owning a home and a car, and being able to send the kids to college. Now it’s about the unbounded pursuit of possession, prestige, and power - the "looking after #1" dream of a psychotic rightist rat race. Now it’s the poisonous neofascist ideal of a for-profit country of undereducated, branded "individuals" suffering from obesity, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, and a host of other avoidable and manufactured maladies. The new "American Dream" is the soul-dead dream of vampires and the nightmare of human beings.

To paraphrase John F. Kennedy for 21st century America: ask not what your country is doing in your name - go shopping, or watch some more TV.

By the way, I notice that the silly people are floating the fib that Saddam Hussein was a fascist, (presumably because he was a dictator that dressed in military uniforms!) Saddam Hussein is responsible for many foul things but he wasn’t a fascist - if he had been, Iraq would already belong to big business and he would still be in power. As I said more than 13 months ago: "Our neo-fanged friends are the only fascists in this tawdry geopolitical reality. Don't let them fool you."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?